Discover how chiropractic care helps you to get the most out of any physical activity you do.
Why Should I Exercise?
Regular exercise has many benefits for both your physical and mental health:
- Strengthens the heart and improves circulation, lowering the risk of heart disease.
- Builds and maintains muscle mass and bone density, which reduces the risk of osteoporosis and falls
- Burns calories to manage your weight and prevent obesity.
- Reduces symptoms of depression and anxiety by releasing feel-good endorphins
- Increases endurance and stamina, making it easier to perform daily activities.
- Improves the quality and duration of sleep
- Increases blood flow to the brain, thereby improving memory, learning, and cognitive function.
What is Chiropractic?
Chiropractic is a form of alternative medicine that focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of mechanical disorders of the neuromusculoskeletal system, especially the spinal structure. Chiropractors use manual adjustments,, and other movement based techniques to realign the spine. Due to repetitive motion trauma, direct physical injury, abnormal posture, weak core stabilizing muscles and other stressors, the spine and frame can become mal-aligned, much like crooked teeth. And…like you would wear braces on your teeth to straighten them, adjustments are designed to specifically align your particular type of spinal deviation. When the spine is NOT aligned properly, it may cause pressure and or pinching on spinal nerves. This can lead to all kinds of symptoms in the body.
How Does Chiropractic Care Boost My Exercise Performance?
Chiropractic care can enhance your exercise regime by addressing any structural imbalances or misalignments in your spine and other joints that may be hindering your performance. This can then decrease stress to joints, discs, hips and other related soft tissues of the body during physical fitness.
The Nervous System
Because the nervous system is your body’s primary control system, subluxations (misalignments) in the spine can interfere with the proper functioning of the nerves passing through the spine.
Using gentle pressure to realign your spine, chiropractic care can help to reduce interference in your nervous system. Improved communication between your brain and the rest of the body results in a more balanced nervous system. Improving the function of your nervous system allows your body to better coordinate and control its various functions:
- Decrease inflammation, muscle tension, and pain
- Enhance your body’s ability to heal itself
- Improve athletic performance and endurance.
The Muscular and Skeletal Systems
The muscular system is closely connected to the skeletal system. When there are misalignments in the spine or other joints, it causes tension and strain on the muscles surrounding those joints. This can lead to inflamed muscles, spasms, pain, weakness, and decreased mobility.
Chiropractic adjustments aim to correct the alignment of the spine, which in turn reduces tension and strain on the surrounding muscles. This leads to:
- Less pain
- Improved muscle function and coordination
- Increased range of motion and flexibility
- Better posture.
Furthermore, Chiropractors usually focus to teach you exercises and stretching techniques to maintain the spinal alignment that was achieved during the adjustment.
Contact The Head and Neck Centers of Excellence to book an appointment today!