The neck is a complex area of the body. When you have a bulging disc in the neck, you might be lucky enough to have a relatively painless experience. If, however, you are not so lucky, it can cause severe pain and discomfort that can negatively impact on your quality of life.
The 5 Most Common Signs of a Bulging Disc in the Neck are:
- The location of the pain is a big telltale sign of bulging discs. If the pain you are experiencing is locally in the neck area and radiates from the neck to the shoulder and down your arms to your fingers, there is a high possibility that you have bulging discs in your neck.
- Muscle weakness or a feeling of numbness in the muscles.
- Headaches are generally an indication of a bulging disc especially if they are persistent and without any other possible cause.
- Change in sensation or unusual sensations in the neck can be a result of pressure or pinching of the nerve, which may be caused by the bulging of discs.
- Chronic neck pain.
How to Treat a Bulging Disc in the Neck
With the help of a professional at The Head and Neck Centers of Excellence, you can opt to treat the symptoms of bulging discs in the neck in the following ways:
- Give the body time to rest and heal
- Physical therapy which can include massage, acupuncture, and a targeted exercise regimen
- Take pain relievers and anti-inflammatory medications
- The application of heat and ice therapy
- Manipulation of the neck and its position
Do Bulging Discs Heal?
Many patients want to know if bulging discs can heal and, especially if they can heal on their own. It is important to understand that in cases of mild bulging discs, there is the possibility of the bulging disc healing on its own with time and rest. In more advanced bulging disc cases, medical intervention is required. The danger in leaving bulging discs to heal for themselves is that many patients mistakenly believe that their bulging disc has healed when the pain eventually subsides. In some cases, the pain may go away because the disc stops compressing a nerve root, but this is almost always a temporary relief and the unhealed bulging disc pain will return in a few days, weeks or months. It is imperative that effective treatment is sought out if you wish to have your bulging discs healed correctly and permanently.
The Head & Neck Centers Treats the Symptoms of a Bulging Disc in Neck. Book an Appointment Today!
Tired of dealing with chronic neck pain and concerned that you might be showing the symptoms of bulging discs in the neck? The Head & Neck Centers of Excellence can not only help with an effective bulging disc in the neck treatment, but also the future prevention of bulging discs. Simply get in touch with us via email or telephone for more information and advice today.